Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Smiling

I'm currently writing in both this blog and in my journal. What I'm writing in my journal is making me smile so much I can almost not focus/type.

Smiling is contagious. Jaimi and I have staring contests once and awhile, and it always breaks down into more of a smiling contest. It's more like who can lift the edges of their mouth closest to their eyes - I'm talking about ridiculous smiling. The air is electrifying - no joke. We'll pause and reset; however, about as soon as we look up to make eye contact and begin the battle, it's already lost and both of us lose our edge and win a smile from across the table.

On smiling...

If you want to be a great smiler, it's going to take a lot of physical practice along with a lot of reading and contemplative study. You may think that I am writing this for humorous purposes, but I stand firm that I am doing no such thing - though the thought is good for smiling.
In regard to physical endurance, smiling (though it uses less facial muscles than frowning) will occur for long extended periods of time - many times coming unannounced - and often are accompanied by laughing. Although there are many more physical aspects to smiling, for these reasons alone, I would recommend the up-and-coming smiler to work hard in the weight room on developing a strong core, focusing on the abdomen and cardio workouts for lung capacity.
As for reading and contemplative study, well...it's inappropriate to smile at some things, whereas you will appear insensitive if you don't smile at others. It's very important to know the decorum for smiling - time, place, manner. Also, it's hard to smile if you don't know how. This can be remedied by speaking with other avid smilers who, I am sure, would be delighted to help you in learning the intricacies of smiling (they will probably smile when you ask them; this is a good first lesson in when it's appropriate to smile).
Dedicate yourself to refining your tastes in smiling over time, and don't become depressed if it's hard for you to grasp some of smiling's subtleties as quickly as you would like. Learning to smile well is a journey, not a destination.

I hope to write more on this topic in the near future....as for now, I hope this has made you smile :)

God bless,
DMS

1 comment:

Jaimi said...

:) :) :) :)

If you were sitting across the table from me, there is no way you could *possibly* be beating me right now . . .

Thanks for the practice, coach ;)

:) :) :) :)