Sunday, February 4, 2007

Here's my Miltonian Sonnet for Tuesday. Milton's sonnets are very different from what I was initially using. Each line is composed of 10 syllables, and the rhyme scheme is abbaabba cdec de (the purpose of the space between the "c" and the final "de" are to signify the separation found in the sonnet form. The form consists of the eight first lines detailing a problem, the next 4 lines providing an answer to the problem, and the final two lines summarize the poem.

(I've added the form at the side and text changes to help you see the form)

10 – a I find no joy, learning to live and die.
10 – b Where is the purpose, for death runs too fast,
10 – b Though I have tried, I cannot cheat my past.

10 – a Useless days ahead, Why am I, O why?
10 – a My light is dimming, darkness, “Heed my cries!

10 – b Discern my existence from all so vast,
10 – b Posterity, know me, for I am passed,”

10 – a “What’s the point?” I ask, worthiness denied.

10 – c To trust in the Lord, you, all the earth-born,
10 – d All your days be as Solomon was first.
10 – e Like the servant David delight in Me.
10 – c Though your days have been numbered, do not mourn.

10 – d Fear the Lord, be still, and sing of His verse,
10 – e all you children who were once blind, “Now see!”


No comments: