Saturday, January 2, 2010

MBA update

It seems as though such is in order as one poster requested as much. I apologize for the delay.


My first semester went by smoothly. I took courses in Marketing, Business Law, and Managerial Economics, and I thoroughly enjoyed the subject matter. The course work was not too taxing, reading was moderately heavy in volume, but nothing I was unused to after having attended Hillsdale. But, the reading texts themselves were not very deep (except for one), and so the overall reading experience became monotonous at some points, where the same ideas and common sense would be repeated. Nonetheless, the material gave me ample room to expand my thinking and the writing exercises (I wrote between 180-200 pages this semester) afforded me a platform to demonstrate as much. I especially enjoyed analyzing new business ideas and start-ups and their likelihood for success or failure. I wrote several case studies during the course of the semester, and while that was a somewhat new experience for me (and I had not written in APA format since high school, having dug-in among the ranks of MLA and Chicago stylists), the Lord allowed me to grasp an understanding of the formatting and the desired product (as in what the professors expected as a demonstration of having learned the material and applied the comprehension well). Analysis and evaluation were exciting exercises because they allowed students to metaphorically "stand above" the situations before them and reason the matter.

The semester ended in the second week of December, and I received my grading report about two weeks after that. God continues to grace me in all academic work. I will return to class next weekend when my first class of the new year begins.

This semester I will take courses in International Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Leading Change, and Research methods and statistics. The final class in that list is an accelerated, five-hour Saturday course taken for seven weeks. The second to last class is online, and the first two are once-per-week, three-hour, night classes.

If you do not know the cost of graduate-level course books, you can be almost sure that even online, used-books for every course will be over $100 each. But, if you search carefully, you can likely still save money. And, get to know your classmates well, because you might be taking courses with students ready to graduate who would be willing to sell you their old books at radically reduced prices for you and better prices than they would receive elsewhere through buyback.

No comments: