Friday, February 2, 2007

Sonnet #1

Note: This does not follow the rhyme scheme of Milton (though I may revise the topical attack for that assignment I previously mentioned).

  1. Uncertainty’s clouds plume around the vows.
  2. Meaning’s indecision hurts the multitudinous crowds.
  3. Solving riddles of masked verbiage, pretending to bow,
  4. How can we discern truth when it’s surrounded by foul?
  5. Liars conspire to trap the listener’s ear
  6. Fighting fire with more liars draws us all to despair,
  7. Where is the dividing sword of all the discussion we hear?
  8. We would ascertain the blame but there’s nobody there…
  9. I’m still wondering when the answer comes a’ thundering,
  10. “Who dares to despair about the prince of the air, am I not still here?”
  11. “If you need the wisdom, I’m not finding fault, giving freely from My vault,
  12. I’ll catapult your understanding, I’ll send you equipped for the fraud’s assault.
  13. And so when they please to defraud My salt, get to your knees.
  14. You haven’t been informed only to wallow in self-pity.”

A lot of different thoughts have caught my focus lately
- how difficult would it be for us to go one day without talking in some fashion with a best friend, close loved-one, spouse, etc., and yet that's the type of relationship we often impose up the Lord. We determine the times when it's good and okay for us to talk with eachother, and oftentimes, we don't even let Him talk. We dictate the rules and we think that's the way it's going to be. I know for me it's so very important to stay aware of how much (or little) I'm yielding to the Spirit's leading lest I fall unto my own weakness.
- how important and what great pleasure there is to be found in the presence of the Lord. There are (as assumed above) people that you just enjoy spending time with. Can you think of those people who you don't even really need to talk with, but can just spend time with them and be satisfied (as much as we can be by other brothers and sisters in Christ)? God's presence is infinitely more satisfying than the greatest satisfaction we can know on this earth. Let's seek it and enjoy it
- Silence has been a theme to which these other topics relate, but there is also something unique about it that the others haven't intrinsicly addressed, that being the importance of silence i.e. Why do we need to be silent (other than the phrase "so that you can hear God's voice)? And I'm not saying that the purpose isn't hearing God's voice, it is, but who can understand that answer when we aren't dealing with a 100% audible to our understanding of audible - nor understanding in general - God? There is something mysterious about this as well as blatantly obvious. Spend half a day without speaking (use a weekend probably) and pray that the Lord uses the time to develop your sense for spiritual things. While basically dealing in the audibility of love , this could mean asking God to make you more aware of those who are suffering or in need, more attentive to the thoughts you harbor, relationships you are involved in and the godliness present in them, etc....

More thoughts on the way

God bless
DMS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for directing me to your blog. I loved reading your "thoughts" sharing and music. I look forward to Tues. when you meet the challenge of your professor.